Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church
Location: 407 East Avenue D, Temple
Marker Text: George Connor, a missionary elder of the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) church assigned to the Temple area, organized this congregation in 1883. A frame sanctuary was built at this site two years later, with Dock Lacy and Green McGrew as church trustees. A growing membership during the early years of the 20th century required a larger house of worship, and the present brick sanctuary was completed in 1927. An important institution in Temple's black community, Wayman Chapel A.M.E. church has long been a source of leadership and service. (1986)
Marker No: 5728
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31° 5' 26.1996", -97° 20' 15.3996"