White House Café and Saloon
Marker No: 12828
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Texas Historic Landmark
Geographic: 29.134180, -98.159081
Location: 1307 3rd Street, Floresville
Marker Text: An important landmark in downtown Floresville, this building dates to the earliest years of the 20th century. Although records have not been found to pinpoint the exact date of construction, it was built sometime between 1902 and 1907. A 1909 newspaper article documents the existence of the White House Restaurant in its second year of operation in the building. Apparently built as a one-story structure, a second story was added by 1912.
About 1910, brothers Henry and Frederick (Fritz) Teltschik, the sons of German immigrants, created a partnership to run the White House Restaurant and lodging here. After 1916, Fritz ran the business by himself and purchased the property in 1921. For the next 50 years, Fritz Teltschik welcomed community meetings, social gatherings and high school students to his restaurant. The White House Café was a popular gathering place in downtown Floresville and retains its historic and architectural character from that time period.
An example of the Victorian Commercial architecture once more common along Texas main streets, the White House Café and Saloon features arched window and transom openings, with brick corbelling on the parapet at the roofline. It remains an important part of the architectural and cultural heritage of Floresville and of Wilson County. (2002)