Zion Lutheran Church
Marker No: 13588
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location 6001 FM 1105, Walburg
Marker Text: Zion Lutheran Church of Concordia was established in 1882 as a place of worship for immigrants of German-Wendish descent the Wends area Slavic people from the German area of Lusatia. Near the border with the Czech Republic and Poland settlers immigrated to Texas in the 1850s with the Reverend John Kilian after founding a new homeland in present-day Serbin (Lee County), a number of the pioneers began migrating in the late 1870s to the northeastern part of Williamson County their settlement later became known as Walburg.
Under the guidance of the reverend J.H. Maisch, settlers organized the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of Concordia here. The church's nine charter members were Wilhelm Anders, August Doehre, Albert Krause, John Neitsch, Albert Ramm, Andreas Schneider, Jacob Schomber, John Schulze and Carl Streich.
The church cemetery was also established in 1882, with the first recorded burial occurring the same year. Since education was of primary importance of the settlers, they also founded a school at that time which continues to educated students today.
The congregation grew throughout the years despite challenges. A fierce June 1886 tornado wreaked havoc on the community and moved the church building off its foundation. Members have rebuilt and placed additions on both the school and the church. After over a century , Zion Lutheran Church and School continue by serving as a place of worship and an educational institute. Since 1971, the church has served the community through the annual wurstbraten sausage supper. (2006)