Taylor's Chapel Congregational Methodist Church
Marker No: 13136
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 9.5 miles northwest at intersection of CR 140 and CR 144,, Comanche
Marker Text: Under a brush arbor in 1901, Rev. J.V. Havner, a Methodist circuit preacher, led area residents as they organized a Methodist congregation. In January 1902, Hood Taylor deeded approximately two acres to the church, which thereafter became known as Taylor's Chapel.
Although the earliest church records have been lost, those involved in the congregation during its formative years included the Robertson, Bingham, Chapman, Vaughn and Power families. Jim Power, Jim Robertson and Sam Vineyard were important early leaders.
In 1914, Rev. Hutchins S. Anglin, known as the "walking preacher," was elected pastor of the church, a position he held until 1920. Rev. Brady Claud "B.C." Slate served in the 1920s, and Rev. William Sineon "Will" Clark served in the 1930s and 1940s. In combined years of service, Rev. Gloyd Horton and Rev. J.l. Jones pastored more than 30 years, from 1949 until 1981.
Although construction on the congregation's first church house began in January 1902, members have often held services outside, under brush arbors and tabernacles, since their earliest meeting in 1901. Their first sanctuary served until 1948, when a new building was dedicated.
Since that time, membership has fluctuated, with rising numbers at the church's centennial anniversary in 2001. The Taylor's Chapel Congregational Methodist Church, a part of the Soda Springs Community, continues to serve as a focal point and place of worship for the surrounding rural area. (2003)