Center City Community
Marker Text: Settled in 1864 by the families of William Jenkins and David Morris (1811-89), this community was called "Hughes Store" after W. C. Hughes and his wife opened a store here in the 1870s. They platted a townsite in 1876, hoping to attract the railroad and to become county seat. An ancient live oak (100 yds. S), by tradition once considered the center of Texas, was site of temporary court and school sessions and religious services. Renamed "Center City", this thriving town boasted several stores and businesses until the railroad bypassed it in 1885. The post office remained until 1920. (1977)
Marker No: 783
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: From Goldthwaite, take Highway 84 about 8.5 miles east (marker on south side of road).