Pegleg Crossing on the San Saba; about 1 mi. NE
Marker Text: An hourglass-shaped pass through the hills were McDougal Creek joins San Saba River. For years a favored Indian campground, it entered written history, 1732, as site of Spanish-Apache battle.
Saw passage of adventurers, mustang hunters, Indian fighters, German settlers, gold-seekers.
Probably named by landowner Wilhelm Harlen for one-legged land commissioner T.W. Ward.
Crossing became station on stage line. Gained notoriety for many hold-ups that occurred at "Robbers' Roost" (1 mile west). Pegleg served in later era as crossing on Great Western Cattle Trail. (1970)
Marker No. 3976
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.869659, -99.599480
Location: on SH 29 ROW, about 10 miles southeast of Menard