Ebenezer Baptist Church
Marker Text: This congregation was organized in 1854 by The Rev. J. W. D. Creath, pastor of the Huntsville Baptist Church, and The Rev. Richard Pace, the pioneer Baptist leader and preacher who served as the first minister at this church. Early worship services were conducted in the homes of members.
The first church building was a two-story structure shared with an early Masonic lodge. It was located at the site of Ebenezer Cemetery (6 mi. NE) on land conveyed in 1854 by Jonathan A. and Sarah McGary. The building served until 1880, when the church moved to the West Sandy community. Here services were first held in the sanctuary of Farris Chapel Methodist Church. A separate building, completed in the 1890s, was used until 1916, when the congregation relocated at this site.
Throughout its history, Ebenezer Baptist Church has been led by many prominent pastors. It has also been active in the ordination of ministers, including J. S. McGraw, a Civil War chaplain, and Baptist preacher and missionary J. R. Walker, the son of early church leader J. N. Walker. An instrumental force in the development of the community, the church continues to reflect the ideals of its pioneer founders. (1983)
Marker No: 8444
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.622736, -95.720360
Location: From the intersection of SH 30 and IH 45 (Huntsville) take SH 30 west approximately 3 miles to FM 1791; then southwest FM 1791 approx. 9.1 miles to the intersection of FM 1791 and FM 3179.