Arthur Carroll Scott, Sr., M.D. (1865 - 1940)
Marker Text: Born in Gainesville, Texas, Arthur C. Scott graduated from Bellevue Medical College in 1886 and won an internship at the Western Pennsylvania Hospital. Returning to Gainesville, he married Maud M. Sherwood in 1889 and began a private medical practice.
In 1892 Dr Scott was appointed chief surgeon of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Hospital in Temple. In 1892 he hired Dr Raleigh R. White, Jr. and they formed a private partnership in 1897. In 1904 they founded the Temple Sanitarium which they directed jointly until Dr. White's death in 1917.
Subsequently, Dr. Scott established a partnership with Dr. G.V. Brindley, Sr.,and Dr. M.W. Sherwood and changed the name of the hospital to Scott & White Hospital in 1922. A specialist in surgery, Dr Scott became an internationally respected authority in the diagnostics and treatment of cancer. Scott & White received accreditation from the American College of Surgeons as a cancer treatment center in 1933, the earliest in Texas.
Sr. Scott was active in many medical and community organizations. The institution he co-founded became a multi-specialty health system renowned in the southwest. He died in 1940. (1972)
Marker No: 215
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.076887, -97.365509
Location: Scott & White Medical Center. 2401 South 31st Street, Temple