Big Spring School District
Marker Text: Education has been an important endeavor in Howard County since its formal organization in 1882, when the first commissioners court ordered the construction of a school building and created Howard County Common School District No. 1 in 1883.
On December 14, 1901, the Big Spring School District was established and a new brick schoolhouse named Central Ward was built to house students in all ten grades. Records indicate that the county provided $40/month for a teacher for African-American students in 1902. Within the first ten years of its creation, Big Spring School District built two more elementary schools and a new high school.
The discovery of oil in the Permian Basin in the late 1920s signaled an era of growth and increased school enrollment in Big Spring. In the 1930s, the Kate Morrison School for Mexican-American students and the Lakeview School for African Americans were both completed, as were three other neighborhood elementary schools. An early vocational cooperative education program in Big Spring was one of the first of its kind in the state.
The 1950s and 1960s saw enrollment increases and new school construction because of the presence of Webb Air Force Base. In 1955, Big Spring became one of the first school districts in Texas to enforce the Supreme Court's decision against school segregation. Big Spring annexed the neighboring Gay Hill and Center Point school districts in 1964.
Many accomplishments during its first 100 years give Big Spring schools a significant role in Howard County's educational history. (2001)
Marker No: 12579
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 708 11th Place, Big Spring