Campsite of Marques De Rubi, 1767.
Marker Text: In 1764 King Charles III of Spain ordered the Marques de Rubi, a Spanish army field marshal, to tour and inspect all presidios in New Spain.
Rubi arrived in Mexico in February 1766, and was joined by Nicolas de Lafora, engineer and mapmaker. They made a tour of the Northwest and California territory and entered Texas on July 17, 1767.
Rubi chose this location for his campsite July 23, 1767. His report suggested small Texas missions be closed. This was done in 1772. Only Goliad and San Antonio remained. (1967)
Marker No: 1188
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: about 4 miles NW of Junction on HWY 1674