Center City Cemetery (One-Half Mile Southwest)
Location: From Goldthwaite, take Highway 84 East about 8.5 miles (marker on south side of road).
Marker Text: The Center City Cemetery began with the burials in 1874 of Julia M. Bishop and M. E. Hughes, the adult and infant daughters of W. C. and Caroline Hughes, early settlers of this area. Judge L. E. Patterson purchased 2.5 acres containing the Hughes burials in 1905 for use as a community graveyard. Concern for its upkeep prompted the establishment of a cemetery committee in 1951. A $1000 gift to the cemetery in J. M. Dalton's will in 1967 helped establish a maintenance fund. The more than 500 burials recorded here include those of many of this area's earliest settlers. (1993)
Marker No: 6034
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker