City of Brownwood (First site 1 Mi. E; second, 5 Mi. SE, Present Location)
Marker Text: Settled 1857. Acquired a post office 1858. An oil vein ruined 1860s water well of townsite donor Greenleaf Fisk. Wagon-yard keeper Martin Meinsinger sold medicinal oil from 1878 well. Commercial drilling began 1889.
Farming, cotton sales, business town since 1880s; was reached by Santa Fe Railroad, 1885; Frisco, 1890. Two colleges -- Daniel Baker and Howard Payne -- were situated here in 1889. Camp Bowie, World War II Military Post, operated in Brownwood from 1940 to 1946.
Center for agriculture-retail sales-industry. Has a coliseum, parks, 110 miles of lake shore. (1968)
Marker No: 882
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: Roadside Park, west of Pecan Bayou Bridge on US 67/84 on Early-Brownwood line.