Marker Text: After Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through this area in 1871, town was platted (1872) and named for Robert M. Elgin (1825-1913), H. & T. C. land commissioner.
Brick and tile, for which Elgin is widely known, have been chief products here since 1882 when Thomas O'Connor (1846-1937) made hand-molded, sun-dried brick. Other manufacturing and agricultural products bolster the economy.
Settlers of six ethnic origins have made the city a center of cultural richness, with good homes, churches and schools. (1972)
Marker No: 9179
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: Elgin Memorial Park - N. Main St. (SH 95), Elgin