Coalson-Pullen Colony (Cabin Chimney at Site, About 3 Mi. NW)
Marker Text: Opened 1866 by Nick and Jennie (Blackwell) Coalson, who moved from Menard area. Stockraising and hunting provided livelihood. Their "bacon" was cured bear meat.
Indians often stole horses, and in Dec. 1870 attacked cabin when Coalson and Charlie Mann had gone hunting. Ranch hand Joe Harris was killed. Mrs. Coalson in man's attire held off Indians until her husband returned.
Later Coalson sold the ranch to surveyor - Civil War veteran Dr. Asa Pullen and wife Juliet (Gilliland), who had 6 daughters. Many descendants of this family still live in Kimble County. (1970)
Marker No: 612
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: from Junction take IH-10 11.5 miles west, take exit to FM 1674, go west (then road goes north), 3.3 miles to marker