Comal County Fair
Marker No: 17844
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 29.714359, -98.114334
Location: 701 East Common Street, New Braunfels
Marker Text: The annual Comal County Fair represents tradition and community in New Braunfels, where it has been an important event since the early 1890s. The fair emphasizes agriculture, animal husbandry, home economic skills, arts, entertainment, patriotism, organizations and local industry. In 1892, the opportunity for the first fair arose when the city hospital, the Krankenhaus, held its dedication and wanted a fair to take place on hospital grounds as a hospital fundraiser. In 1893, the Comal County Fair Association organized with Harry Landa elected as president. The first Comal County Fair was held in 1894 on Landa’s Pasture near Landa Park and would be held there for the next four years.
In 1898, the association purchased eleven acres on the Guadalupe River in Comaltown to host the fair. The initial acreage was sold in 1905 to the city with a lease agreement with the fair association for use of the land that is still in effect today. In 1923, the fair association reorganized into a corporation and purchased additional adjacent acreage from the Braunfels subdivision. The fair has reflected the times, scaling back activities during WWI, the Great Depression, and WWII. The 1946 fair celebrated the end of WWII and also the New Braunfels centennial. The centennial was celebrated a year late due to the war. The fair has always been about the people from fair queens, rodeo queens, marching bands, fair floats and the parade to carnivals, rodeos and horse racing. The Comal County Fair is the only community event where all schools and many local businesses close to encourage participation. Today the Comal County Fair has become one of the largest county fairs in Texas. (2014)