Marker Text: The community of Darrouzett began in 1917 as a station along the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway. First named Lourwood, the early settlement was renamed by the rail company in honor of a Galveston-area legislator and attorney, J.L. Darrouzett. When the town incorporated in 1920, the year of the rail line's completion, more than 400 people lived in Darrouzett and supported several businesses, a school, two churches and a post office. Early residents used family cemeteries and graveyards in other communities for burials.
In 1939, Anna Frass and her family deeded several acres to the trustees of the newly formed Darrouzett Cemetery Association. She moved the graves of Henry Frass (d. 1932), her late husband, and granddaughter Esther Lee Frass (d. 1926) here from Lipscomb, and other families also reinterred loved ones here. The first burial at the cemetery was that of David Rush in January 1939. Rush, a local farmer and businessman, is one of the numerous military veterans buried here; others include two men killed in action in Vietnam. Each grave at the cemetery is a reminder of individuals who contributed to Darrouzett history. (2005)
Marker No: 15500
Texas Historical Cemetery Marker
Geographic: 36.449249, -100.340797
Location: 1 mile west on SH 15, then 1/4 mile north on local road