Dry Frio Canyon
Marker Text: Area's first settlers--families of Louis Bohme, Charles Jones, Gus Heard, and Lawrence Pike Heard-- applied in 1875 in search of new frontiers and range lands. The first post office was called Heard, as was the first school, which opened in 1880. While digging a well in 1885, T. H. Hammer discovered area's mineral water which became famous for medicinal qualities. He later sold his property to a promoter named Reagan who built a bathhouse and a hotel to sell mineral water. Baptist Church, formed in 1906, was first local house of worship. (1968)
Additional Plate: Correction: Heard's name was spelled Lawrence Pike Heard
Marker No: 1288
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: From Uvalde, take Highway 83 North about 16 miles, then take Highway 1051 Northwest about 6 miles to marker.