Marker No: 6995
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: FM 2108, 3 miles east of Burke
Marker Text: The Angelina County School Board created Fairview Common School District Number 69 in the late 1800s. A one-room schoolhouse was built that served students from a wide rural area. The first school term, in 1898, was five months long.
Fairview School students met at Fairview Baptist Church from about 1905 until 1913, when the county school board reorganized the common school districts. In 1915 land was purchased for a school site. A two-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1917 and enlarged with the additions of a cafeteria and an auditorium in the 1940s.
The school became a community center for area residents. It served as a voting place and was the focus of social activities and holiday events. County-wide sporting events were held on the grounds.
The Fairview School not only provided quality education for grades one through seven, but also hosted programs that benefited farmers. Government advisors gave instruction on agricultural techniques to increase production of cattle and the local crops of peanuts, corn, and cotton. The school closed in 1963 and was consolidated with the Lufkin School District. (1997)