First Baptist Church of Floresville
Marker No: 1631
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 29.135363, -98.157814
Location: Intersection of 4th and B Streets, Floresville.
Marker Text: This congregation was established by the Rev. John Washburn, who came to Texas from Illinois in 1877. He moved to Floresville to become superintendent of the Floresville Academy in May 1878. According to tradition, about 20 charter members attended the organizational meeting of this fellowship on Aug. 25, 1878, at the Wilson County Courthouse. The charter members included County Judge and Mrs. B. F. Ballard, and Mr. and Mrs. O.D. Rhode. A merchant, Rhode opened the second store in town. His wife taught Sunday School in this church for over 60 years. Another early leader, S. Allen Franklin, served as lay preacher on occasion.
Worship services were held in the courthouse until 1889. In that year, the congregation bought this property, originally part of eight leagues granted to Juan and Simon Arocha, and erected a simple church building measuring 40 ft. by 60 ft. In 1905 the structure was remodeled and enlarged. A two-story education facility was added in 1916. The original sanctuary was torn down in 1953 and a new church building erected on the same site. A fellowship hall, library, and pastor's study were added in 1973. (1977)