First Baptist Church of Marlin
Marker No: 1651
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.305145, -96.895004
Marker Text: In Aug. 1851 the Falls County Commissioners Court donated three Marlin city lots as sites for Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches. Pioneer preacher the Rev Z.N. Morrell selected a lot later designated as the southeast corner of Ward and Church streets for local baptists. He organized the Marlin Baptist Church of Christ with 10 charter members on April 10 1852. Early worship services were held in the log courthouse and later in a two-story schoolhouse.
A one-room brick church measuring 14 x 69 feet was erected in 1872 by Marlin builder William McComb on the property chosen by the Rev. Morrell. It served on the property chosen by the Rev. Morrell. It served until 1898 when McComb constructed a frame edifice on the same site. In 1902 this congregation became the First Baptist Church of Marlin. The present site was purchased in 1915 to relocate the church as noise from the nearby railroad disrupted services. The Rev. S.D. Dollahite preached the first sermon in the new structure in 1929. Education building were added in 1950 and 1975. The Church bell, about 80 years old , was placed in a brick frame on the church grounds in 1976.
This fellowship established a mission originally known as Perry Street Baptist Church which later became Trinity Memorial Baptist Church. (1977
Location: 309 Coleman Street, Marlin