First Commercial Oil Well in Howard County
Marker Text: On Nov. 9, 1925, this wildcat well "No. 1 H.R. Clay" drilled by Fred Hyer, began pumping oil in a venture that hinted at vast oil resources in West Texas.
The well on Clay's land hit pay dirt at 1,508 feet. Soon oil land speculators developed a great interest in this formerly "worthless" territory and other wildcatters flocked to the area.
As a result of efforts here, the Permian Basin--one of the richest oil repositories in the state--was developed. Since 1925 Howard County has produced more than 300 million barrels. (1969)
Marker No: 12671
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: Intersection U.S. 87 and F.M. 821, Forsan