First Post Office
Marker Text: Across the street, south, was the first building erected to house the Junction Post Office.
Junction's first postmaster, Mrs. Harriet Kountz, appointed 1876, at first kept the mail in her home. In 1879, her husband Dr. Ezekiel Kountz, built a post office, drugstore, and general mercantile house on the square. Lumber was hauled from Austin.
Mrs. Kountz moved the office here and served until 1881. Dr. Kountz, first county clerk of Kimble County office, used store as county office until courthouse was built nearby.
Old store was dismantled 1911. (1966)
Marker No: 1533
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: Northwest corner of 5th and College Streets (at Courthouse grounds), Junction