Fort Chadbourne C. S. A.
Marker Text: Located 8 mi. north on old Butterfield stageline. Upon secession, company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for many Union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war. Permanent personnel left the fort in 1862 when the frontier defense line was pulled back more than 50 miles east. However scouting parties and patrols of Confederate and state troops used the fort intermittently in aggressive warfare to keep Indians near their camps and away from settlements and to check on the invasion by union forces. Usually supplying their own mounts, guns and sustenance, these men guarded the frontier until war's end. (1963)
Marker No: 1974
Pink Granite Civil War Memorial
National Register of Historic Places
Location: City Hall grounds, 100 block of South Washington Street, Bronte