Marker Text: Samuel Mather settled here in 1849, building a gristmill on the north San Gabriel in 1852. John G. Stewart opened a store near the mill. A small log cabin was in use by 1854 for church, school and lodge meetings. A post office was established in 1858, Mather being postmaster. W.L. Brizendine owned the mill by 1865, adding a cotton gin. Known as Mather's Mill, Brizendine Mill, or Gabriel Mills, the village thrived until Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed it (1881); then a decline began. the post office closed in 1905, and by the 1920s the town itself had disappeared. (1975)
Marker No: 9096
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.467741, -97.787865
Location: CR 236, just south of intersection with CR 207, west side of road.