Hutto Lutheran Cemetery
Marker No: 13246
Texas Historical Cemetery
Geographic: 30.523624, -97.554138
Location: 1.2 miles south of US 79 on FM 1660, then west on CR 135 0.4 miles
Marker Text: In 1892, several Swedish immigrants who had settled in the Hutto area established the Swedish Lutheran Evangelical Church. In 1894 a tornado destroyed the first sanctuary, built by members on Short Street. After utilizing a second church building for several years, the congregation moved to East Live Oak and Church Streets in 1902. The following year, the congregation purchased this site for a church cemetery.
It is believed the first marked graves, dating as early as 1897, are those of children whose remains were exhumed and reinterred at the new cemetery. The first adult buried here was Johannes Anderson (d. 1903).
There are several unmarked graves believed to be those of children. There are also graves of military veterans and tombstone symbols that reflect Masonic and Woodmen of the World affiliations.
Today, Hutto Lutheran Cemetery is maintained by a church committee, which conducts special events and raised funds for maintenance of the burial ground. The site remains a link to the area's early Swedish settlers, their families and their church. (2004)