La Vernia Methodist Church
Additional Plate: This chapel was moved to its present location in 1996. The church no longer maintains the Post Oak Cemetery.
Location: On Loop 321, east side of La Vernia.
Marker No: 3005
Marker Text: Earliest services of this church were held near here, at Bethesda, in 1853 by Rev. J.S. McGee, a circuit rider. In 1876, La Vernia Methodist Episcopal Church, south, was organized with the Rev John E. Vernor as pastor. By tradition the masonic hall housed services until 1881. Then trustees bought this site and erected a church building, which was destroyed by a storm five years later. Present church was built in 1887. The 85-year-old Post Oak Methodist Church (9 Mi. NE) was merged with La Vernia in 1970. This church controls Post Oak Cemetery. (1976)
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 29.355806, -98.115341