Lipscomb Union Church
Marker Text: Lipscomb Union Church has served the residents of this community since the early 1900s. J.W. Arthur established the town of Lipscomb in 1886, and by the next year it was the county seat. Lipscomb soon boasted several stores, a post office and a newspaper. In 1908, residents organized Lipscomb Union Church to fulfill the community's spiritual needs. The Rev. George A. McKee served as its first pastor.
Early in its history, the congregation of the non-denominational church met in a one-room wooden building erected by area residents. A 1917 tornado damaged the building and shook it partly off of its foundation. But members worked quickly to repair the damage. Over the years, members have continued to commit time, energy and funds to make repairs, additions and improvements to the worship facilities, and to take on other responsibilities in aiding the church and community.
Members have actively served Lipscomb through various auxiliaries, including Ladies Aid, formed by women of the church, and the Crusaders, a youth group. They have also been active in supporting international relief work and have worked with nearby rural churches.
Although the number of residents living in Lipscomb remained low throughout the 20th century, the church continued to meet regularly. Today, Lipscomb Union Church remains a vital institution in the community, enriching lives and serving as a spiritual beacon for the town and county. (2007)
Marker No: 14015
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 36.233250, -100.270065
Location: Intersection of Fourth and Oak Streets, Lipscomb