Lufkin Daily News
Marker No: 16957
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 300 Ellis Avenue, Lufkin
Marker Text: The first notice found of the daily newspaper in Lufkin is in the feb. 14, 1907 Nacogdoches Sentinel: “Lufkin has an afternoon daily paper, the news. While a copy of the newspaper has never reached this office, it is said to be a right newsy little sheet.” Charles l. Schless, of Chicago, started the paper and ran it on his own for its first two years of production before selling part of the ownership to shareholders. The paper was then sold to George Watford in 1913. The news was published twice weekly until 1915 when then-owners Watford, Binion, and Kurth purchased a Mergenthaler linotype machine. The new machine sped up the production process by mechanizing typesetting and the newspaper has published daily ever since.
Owners of the Lufkin Daily News have prioritized a commitment to innovative technology, which has allowed the news to break publishing records and play a supporting role in local industry. On January 14, 1940, the news published a record-setting 288-page edition to mark the completion of Southland Paper Mills Inc. It was printed on the mill’s first 1,445-pound roll of white paper from the first run of commercially produced southern pine newsprint in the world. In 1959, the news moved to its current facility that is a short walk from its original location on cotton square. The news made another first for the area when it computerized its production process in 1974. The Lufkin daily news received the Pulitzer Prize in journalism for community service in 1977. For more than a hundred years, the news has provided residents of Lufkin and the surrounding area with news of local interest and has upheld its position as an important resource to the community. (2011)