McNeil Baptist Church
Marker No: 15342
Aluminum 27 x42 Subject Marker
Location: 14304 FM 1322, Luling
Marker Text: Led by the Rev. B.F. Dixon of the San Marcos Baptist Association, members of the McNeil Creek community met on June 30, 1888, to organize a local congregation. The name chosen was McNeil Creek Baptist Church, and the congregation began to hold worship services in a local schoolhouse. R.W. King was elected church clerk, a position he held for the nest twenty-two years.
As the church began to grow, a need was recognized for a permanent home. A building committee was formed which began raising funds in 1895, Samuel McCarley donated two acres of land to the church on February 2, 1896, and by November of that year a sanctuary was completed.
In 1908 the church name was shortened to McNeil Baptist Church. A large tabernacle was added to the south side of the church which provided space for Sunday School and revivals until it and the original church structure were removed form the property. A new building was completed by August 9, 1947. To further serve the growing congregation, an annex was added onto the west end of the auditorium in 1952.
The McNeil Baptist Church has continued to serve residents of a large rural area for over a century. (1988)