Mentz - Bernando Community
Marker Text: As early as the 1830s German immigrants had begun to settle in the general vicinity of Cat Springs. they were soon joined by others who preferred this region to the various sites that had been designated for formal colonization efforts. With the area's continued growth, the settlement of Bernardo (4 Mi. E.) and Mentz developed as early focal points of the surrounding agricultural community.
The German settlers who founded Mentz named the pioneer community for an area of their homeland. Predominantly Roman Catholic, they established St. Roch parish by 1858 under the leadership of priests form Frelsburg. The church developed as the religious social and cultural center of the area.
Bernardo was begun about 1845 on an important early route from Houston to inland settlements. Because of its location on the prairie land of the San Bernardo River, the rural community was first known as Bernardo Prairie.
Once identified by separate schools and post offices, the two settlements now share a common lifestyle and heritage, which reflect the continued influence of the early German settlers. their descendents still live in the Mentz-Bernardo community. (1982)
Marker No: 3341
Aluminum 27 x 242 Subject Marker
Geographic: 29.749313, -96.438835
Location: From Columbus take IH-10 about 5 1/2 miles to FM 949, go north about 1 mile to Frelsburg Road. Go north on Frelsburg Road about 1.6 miles to intersection, go east to church