Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario
Marker Text: (Mission Our Lady of the Rosary) Founded in 1754 for the Cujane Indians. Capt. Manuel Ramirez de la Piszina, commander of nearby Presidio la Bahia, named this mission for his parish church in Spain, and Fray Juan Dios Camberos ministered to the first converts here. The Indians were taught crop-raising. In the years following, much livestock, including 30,000 head of cattle, belonged to Rosario. But these, along with Indian land at the mission, had to be surrendered later to the Spanish crown. In 1807 Rosario was permanently abandoned and its lands were distributed to Spanish settlers. (1969)
Marker No: 3399
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker (As visible in picture, this marker is missing)
National Register of Historic Places
Location: From Goliad, take US 59 West about 4 miles.