Marker No: 13051
Texas Historical Cemetery Marker
Geographic: 31.216528, -97.458138
Location: 10 miles northwest on SH 36 about 2 miles west of intersection with FM 2409; also close to McGregor Park and Aycock roads
Marker Text: This burial ground began as a family and Masonic cemetery. Although many, possibly older, graves exist, the oldest marked grave is that of Mary Marshall (d.1861). In 1869, eight years after Marshall's death, J.A. Grimes sold his farm to Mary E. Dean. The parcel of land excluded two acres set aside for a graveyard, in 1893, Dean deeded additional property for the cemetery to the Leon Masonic Lodge No. 193, A.F. & A.M. R.J. and Hattie Goode conveyed additional land to the lodge in 1916.
On July 23, 1921, the masonic lodge deeded the property to the Moffat Cemetery Association, which later acquired additional land for the burial ground. The association incorporated in 1976.
The cemetery is the final resting place for numerous area settlers, including pioneer Isaac Thomas Bean (1821-1899), who came to Texas in 1823 with his family. The names of prominent families and military veterans are found on the numerous markers, which include vertical stones and stone cairns. (2003)