Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church
Marker Text: Bartlett was a small farming community in 1898. Black American laborers arrived each fall for the cotton harvest. Thomas Sanders and Nelson Secret and their families called the Reverend F.E. Garrett of Temple to help them establish Mount Arie Missionary Baptist Church in June 1898. Among the first families of the church were those of the Reverend E.M. Muckleroy, Wallace Dotray and C.A. Harris. The small congregation originally met on the Bell County side of Bartlett, but in 1910 had grown enough to prompt a move to Brook Street in Williamson County.
The years 1921 to 1923 were lean ones. The church building was moved to Bowie Street in 1953 because of unstable land on its Brook Street site. The structure was modernized in the 1960s and 1970s. Membership increased dramatically, and the congregation began to integrate after 1977.
The eight decade of the church's history brought new developments. The congregation moved into a brick facility in 1980, the same year the church name was changed to Mount Ararat Missionary Baptist Church after it was discovered that Mount Arie was was an abbreviation for the name of the mountain on which Noah's Ark landed as depicted in the Old Testament.
The Mount Ararat Missionary Baptist Church celebrated its centennial in June 1998. The congregation supports widespread missionary and outreach programs. The membership and its diversity continue to increase as the congregation carries on in the traditions of its founders. (1999)
Marker No: 12304
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 529 South Bowie Street, Bartlett