Pleasant Grove Cemetery
Marker No: 13463
Texas Historic Cemetery Marker
Geographic: 30.38335, -97.31535
229 Pleasant Grove Loop, Elgin
Marker Text: By 1860, a log structure near this site served as a school and church. In 1871, E.E. Smith sold land to trustees of the Pleasant Grove School. The farming and ranching settlement of Pleasant Grove grew, and by 1890, the school served 51 students; the community’s cemetery developed nearby. Residents built a two-story Woodmen of the World lodge in 1908 and used the first floor as a school. After razing the building in 1924, they reused the lumber for a new schoolhouse. Pleasant Grove School consolidated into the Elgin District in 1949, and the Pleasant Grove Cemetery Association purchased the former schoolhouse in 1967.
Today, the burial ground remains the primary connection to the Pleasant Grove community. Although some of the many unmarked burials in the cemetery predate it, the earliest marked grave dates to 1871. The earliest birth year found on a gravestone is that of Clairbourn Scroggins, born in 1799. Among those buried here are military veterans of conflicts from the Civil War to the present. The cemetery is a link to their memory and to the history of Pleasant Grove. (2004)