Raymondville State Bank
Marker Text: Attorney and banker Charles Henry Pease (1873- 1933) came to the Rio Grande Valley from Michigan in 1907. With the help of local businessmen he organized the Raymondville State Bank, which opened on March 5, 1907.The first directors of the bank were E. B. Raymond, James B. Wells Jr., Robert J. Kleberg, William F. Sprague, William Kelly, Marcus Phillips, Charles H. Flato, Jr., S. L. Dworman, B. J. Frazier, and Ch. Pease. Raymond was named president.
The bank was first located at the Raymondville Lumber Company the lumber company safe was used as a vault and a pine shelf with a wooden grill served as the first teller window.
Charles H. Pease became president of the bank upon the death of E. B. Raymond in 1914 and served until 1923. During his term as president the bank moved into a new brick structure.
From its beginning as a small bank with total deposits of $10,000, the Raymondville State Bank has grown to become an important area business. It is the oldest banking institution in the lower Rio Grande Valley area comprised of Willagy, Cameron, Hidalgo, and Starr Counties. (1987)
Marker No: 14666
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Gegraphic: 26.482550, -97.785698
Location: North 5th Street and West Main Avenue, Raymondville