Marker No: 4343
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: from Junction to 18 miles west on IH-10 to Loop 291, take 291 west about 1.5 miles to maker (marker is in front of Post Office/General Store).
Marker Text: The community of Roosevelt began with the establishment of a post office in 1898. Although Alice Wagner applied for the post office with another name, the postal service in Washington substituted the name Roosevelt presumably in honor of Theodore Roosevelt, whose Rough Riders visited the area prior to their legendary Spanish-American War service. Two military roads traversed this area and Roosevelt became a social center for surrounding ranch families. In addition to the post office Roosevelt included a masonic lodge, churches, stores and a school. (1997)