Round Mound Cemetery
Marker Text: Round Mound Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Jones County and is located near the site of the former Deadman Creek of Round Mound settlement. The name "Round Mound may derive from the highest point in the area, which is located approximately one half mile southwest of cemetery, or may refer to the smaller mound on which the cemetery is situated. In October 1889, the two-acre plot already being used as Round Mound Cemetery was officially designated as such by property owners Mr. & Mrs. W.T. Connally. Hinton and Rachel Manly deeded as additional acre of land to the cemetery in March 1896.
The two earliest marked burials are those of Fannie C. Harry and Charity E. Hinds, who both died in 1882. These graves are located in the northeast quarter of the cemetery. The sole fenced family plot in the cemetery contains graves of cousins Nona Bell Manly and Ruby Harvey, who died in 1895 and 1900.
The tabernacle at the center of the cemetery was built in the early 1900s and was used for shelter during funerals. Arborvitae evergreen trees were also planted at the cemetery at this time. During the 1950s a chain link fence and arched metal entrance gate were constructed and additional undeveloped acreage was acquired across FM 1082. Arizona cypress trees were planted in the early 1960s. Along with the traditional grave markers located throughout the cemetery are numerous native stone markers, as well as decorative urns, veteran plaques, benches and folk decorations. (2007)
Marker No: 15905
Texas Historical Cemetery Marker
Location: from intersection FM 600/1082 & FM 1082. Go 2 miles and turn right (south). From turn, go south 3.1 miles to Round Mound Cemetery on left.