Salem Lutheran Church
Marker No: 12727
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.051085, -97.095474
Location: 2 miles south of Barclay on FM 1772
Marker Text: Organized November 24, 1901, in the Hamilton schoolhouse, this congregation began with 17 charter members. Many of whom had come from the Welcome community in Austin County. The Rev. W. Utesch, who also was from Welcome, provided guidance and leadership at the first gathering.
The congregation of Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church held monthly services in its first Texas in may 1905. Lutherans in the neighboring community of Cyclone decided to join the Salem church. That union brought about a strength in numbers that allowed the church to call the Rev. August Dziewas as its first resident pastor soon thereafter land was purchased for a parsonage, and the congregation acquired the former Terry's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, south, building to serve as its house of worship. A cemetery, with the first burial dating to 1903, is also associated with the congregation.
As membership in Salem Lutheran Church increased, a larger sanctuary was needed the new church building was completed and dedicated in 1924. Additional facilities were constructed through the years to accommodate new programs and activities.
With its emphasis on worship, mission and outreach Salem Lutheran Church has played a significant role in the religious and cultural heritage of this rural area of Falls County. (2002)