Site of Colonial Capital Sarahville de Viesta (1 mile southwest)
Marker Text: Founded 1834 by Sterling C. Robertson, colonizer of a 100 by 200-mile area embracing all or part of 30 later Texas counties.
Situated near falls of Brazos River, where over a stony ford passed much traffic between east and southwest Texas, this was Robertson Colony capital. An important Sarahville site was land office, where settlers applied for their titles.
Town was named for Robertson's mother, and for Agustin Viesca, Governor of the province of Coahuila and Texas
Target of Indian hostilities, Sarahville was abandoned, 1836. (1970)
Marker No: 4592
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.249403, -96.847809
Location: From Reagan, take SH 6 north about 3.5 miles to roadside park