Site of New Braunfels Academy
Marker No: 4840
Medallion & Plate
Marker Text: Site of New Braunfels Academy, the first tax-supported Texas school still existent. By act of the State Legislature (where it was called "a great question of law and public policy") the academy was incorporated in 1858 -- 18 years before the 1876 Texas Constitution provided for local taxation for school purposes.
Erected 1900, this building of New Braunfels Academy now is tax office of the Independent School District. (1965)
Texas Historic Landmark
Geographic: 29.700850, -98.128304
Location: 407 West Mill Street, New Braunfels