Old Schmitz Hotel
Marker Text: First portion--of local cedar and limestone--was built about 1851 by Rudolph Nauendorf. Early German immigrant Jacob Schmitz bought building in 1858 as new location of his "Guadalupe Hotel."
Old World atmosphere of the inn-stagestand was praised by noted writer Frederick Olmsted.
In 1873 third story was added and hotel was renamed for owner. Original facade has since been much altered. Bought (1969) by new Braunfels Conservation Society. (1971)
Marker No: 4859
Medallion & Plate
Texas Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Geographic: 29.702999, -98.124519
Location: 471 Main Plaza, New Braunfels