Site of the Mission Nuestra Senora De La Candelaria
Marker Text: First established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 on the San Gabriel River with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Karankawa, Orcoquiza and other Indian tribes.Reestablished Under the same name on the San Marcos River in 1755. Removed to this site on the Nueces River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches in 1762. Abandoned in 1769. (1936)
Marker No: 4934
Gray Granite 1936 Centennial Marker
Location: On US 55 just inside Montell limits (past churches), Montell.