Site of Thomas Arnold High School
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.942524, -97.536339
Location: On corner of College Hill Road and Old US 81, Salado.
Marker Text: Dr. Samuel J. Jones (1857-1918) and his wife, Charlotte Hallaran Jones (d.1904), established Thomas Arnold High School on this site in 1890. The school, which was actually a private academy, occupied the the stone buildings vacated by Salado College, where Dr. Jones taught. Named for Thomas Arnold (1795-1842), noted headmaster of Rugby School on England, the academy provided quality education during a time when there were few public high schools until 1918, and as a public school until 1924, when the buildings burned. (1975)
Marker No: 5464