Site of Western Cattle Trail
Marker Text: The main route -1876 to 1887- for several hundred thousand longhorns driven north to stock ranches and Indian reservations and to supply beef market.
Was also called Dodge City Trail, for its main terminus; or Fort Griffin Trail, for the site where feeder trails joined.
This major branch began in South Texas, passed the western outskirts of Abilene, and from here moved northeast to Fort Griffin. An alternate route ran to the Red River, then to Kansas.
Use of the trail ceased after fenced ranges blocked route, and Texas & Pacific Railway arrived. (1968)
Marker No: 4913
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 32.449684, -99.772041
Location: Corner of South 1st & Leggett Drive, on T & P Railroad Tow, Abilene