St. John's Hospital
Marker No: 5044
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 2018 Pulliams Street, San Angelo
Marker Text: In 1909, San Angelo had a population of 15,000 and no hospital to serve the needs of its people. That year the San Angelo Business Club, forerunner of the Chamber of Commerce, appealed to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio for help in establishing a hospital. The Roman Catholic religious order had founded several sanitariums throughout the state since coming to Texas in 1866.
Land at this site, then several miles east of the city, was secured, and a four-story, red brick hospital building was constructed. Under the direction of the Sisters, St. John's Sanitarium opened in October 1910. Few patients were treated during its first year of operation because they had to travel the distance from San Angelo on inadequate roads. The sisters were often paid for their services with farm products.
As the first hospital of its size in West Texas, St. John's has served the area well. It was one of the region's pioneers in the usage of x-ray equipment, penicillin, and other medical innovations. Over the years, additional facilities have been built as demand for services has increased. In 1970, the original building was razed, but the institution has continued to uphold the ideals and traditions on which it was founded. (1985)