St. John's Lutheran Church
Marker Text: Fritz Armrecht, accompanied by his friend August Spill, Sr., was reportedly the first Lutheran to arrive in this area. The men came from Comal County in the 1880s and bought property, bringing their families here in 1890. Armbrecht's land included the present site of the city of Winters; in 1892, he sold 100 acres for the city center and later donated two acres for use as a cemetery.
As more Lutheran families arrived, the time was right to organize a church. The mission board of the Texas Synod of the Lutheran church sent missionaries to lead services held in homes and schools. Families dedicated a sanctuary in the downtown Winters area in October 1904 and formally organized on November 6 of that year as St. John's Lutheran Church. Members learned the railroad line would run adjacent to their property when it arrived in 1909, so they built a new sanctuary on the west side of town. Facilities have expanded over the years and include the present sanctuary, constructed in 1930. The congregation grew, and its members participated actively in Winters' development and social activities. Many parishioners operated local businesses, and others entertained the community with their musical talents.
Although church members served in the U.S. armed forces, local anti-German sentiment during the first World War led to the congregation minimizing its services, which were held in German; relations slowly mended following the war. During the Second World War, congregation members maintained their visible and patriotic role in support of U.S. involvement overseas.
St. John's members continue to serve their local and global communities. The church remains a spiritual home for many in the Winters area. (2005)
Marker No: 13307
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 1100 West Parsonage Street, Winters