St. Louis Catholic Church
Marker No. 5051
Medallion & Plate
Texas Historical Landmark
Geographic: 29.356266, -98.878906
Location: 1306 Angelo St, Castroville,
Marker Text: Planned, according to tradition, by the Rev. Peter Richard, pastor who came from Loire, France, 1868. First (1847-51) resident pastor, the Most Rev. Claude Dubuis, returned as Bishop of Texas to lay cornerstone on July 2, 1868.
Locally quarried limestone and labor of men of Parish went into the construction.
First Mass was celebrated in this church by Father Richard on Aug. 25, 1870, Feast Day of St. Louis, Patron of the Parish. (1970)