Sutherland Springs Cemetery
Marker No: 17478
Texas Historical Cemetery Marker
Location: FM 539 southwest of Sutherland Springs, 1.2 miles from the intersection of SH 87 & FM 539
Marker Text: Dr. John Sutherland (1792-1867), a native of Danville, Virginia, came to Texas in 1835. While helping the Texians prepare to defend the Alamo against the Mexican army in 1836, he suffered an accident with his horse, rendering him unable to fight. Still able to ride, Col. Travis sent him to Gonzales to summon help. While en route to Gonzales, the Mexican army defeated the Alamo defenders. Dr. Sutherland then went to Tuscumbia, Alabama, to move his family to Texas, and they lived for many years near Egypt (Wharton County) before settling near the Sulphur Springs on the Cibolo River in 1849.
Dr. Sutherland purchased the Trevino Grant on Cibolo Creek. In his home, he boarded patients who came to the Sulphur Springs seeking health cures. His house became a regular stop on the stage from San Antonio to Indianola and Port Lavaca. Sutherland Springs Cemetery dates from October 31, 1860, when Dr. Sutherland granted about five acres as a community burial ground. The first burial was that of his wife, Ann Margaret (Lucas) (Dickson) Sutherland, in 1862. Historically known also as Oak Hill Cemetery, the land was expanded in 1911 with the sale of just over two acres from Jacob Hyder to cemetery trustees. Additional acreage acquired in 1997 increased the cemetery size to about 7.69 acres. In addition to Dr. John Sutherland, buried here are four Texas Rangers, a county judge, a sheriff, military veterans, doctors, masons and eastern star members, and descendants of the historic Polley and Sutherland families. African American, Hispanic and Caucasian residents are interred here. This historic burial ground is a chronicle of Wilson County pioneers and significant figures in the history of the region. (2012)