Sutherland Springs School Site
Marker Text: The Sutherland Springs Community was founded by Dr. John Sutherland and Joseph H. Polley in the 1850s. Both men were concerned with the need for a school in Sutherland Springs where social institutions had not yet developed. Early schools were built by churches, citizens or organizations. Public education funds were not adequately distributed and educational efforts in Texas remained sporadic through the close of the nineteenth century.
In 1857, Dr. Sutherland built a rock building on the Cibolo used as a private academy. In 1871, J.B. Polley deeded to the school trustees of Cibolo Hall and female academy all his right, title and interest in lot #3 block #59. By 1877, the male and female academy opened in the rock schoolhouse. In 1910, a bond election was voted on and adopted to construct a new school. The next year, lot #4 was purchased. In 1934, citizens of district nine voted to incorporate for free school purposes under the name Sutherland Springs Independent School District. A new school was built in 1936 and a gymnasium was added in 1938.
On the eve of Christmas holidays, December 19, 1947, fire completely destroyed the school building. After the fire, students finished the school year at the Baptist Church. A two-room building was erected for grades one through six. The district consolidated with Floresville in 1948 and the property was sold in 1953. However, the spirit of small, rural schools lives on through the community and memory. (2014)
Marker No: 17933
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: Second Street, Sutherland Springs