Taylor Brethren Church
Marker No: 13290
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.573282, -97.428795
Location: 710 Sloan Street, Taylor
Marker Text: During the 1880s, many Czech Protestant immigrants who settled in the Taylor area were members of the Unity of the Brethren, founded in 1457 by followers of the Czech reformer and martyr Jan Hus. These local Brethren found it difficult to worship in area Protestant churches because of the language barrier -- most conducted services in German or English. As a result, the Czech immigrants joined together to revive practices of the Unity of the Brethren and worship in their native language.
The Rev. Henry Juren of Fayetteville held Taylor's first Czech Protestant service in 1892. As more Czech Protestant immigrants arrived in central Texas, more Brethren groups formed, served by traveling ministers. Among those was the Taylor Brethren Church, formally organized in 1895. The Rev. Antonin Motycka became the church's first pastor. Three years later, the Brethren church began using space in the West Taylor Lutheran Church building at this site. In June 1902, the Brethren congregation purchased the property.
The church continued holding worship services in the Czech language until 1967. Today, the congregation recognizes its rich ethnic history, but it is now a diverse body whose members reflect many backgrounds and traditions.
Taylor Brethren Church has played a vital role in the cultural heritage of the community it serves. Throughout the congregation's long history members have continued to worship at this site and to follow the Protestant emphasis and doctrines established by its founders, who came to Texas seeking religious freedom and independence. (2005)